Welcome to the Department of History at Oklahoma State University. The twenty-one members of the History Faculty offer undergraduate and graduate courses that fulfill requirements for the B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. degrees. Currently one hundred forty undergraduate students major in History and fifty-five graduate students are pursuing advanced degrees in the field. The Department is eager to offer guidance to students who hope to minor in History, to earn an undergraduate or graduate degree, or simply to learn more about the past and its effect on the present. Please use this site to acquaint yourself with the courses, faculty, student organizations, and activities of the History Department. Please contact us if you have questions or would like further information.
Job Description for Head of the History Department
As stated in the department Policies and Procedures (II.B, C, and D), the Head will be a tenured member of the faculty of the Department who holds certain part-time administrative responsibilities as assigned by the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. The Head will furnish leadership to the faculty in determining the nature of the instructional and research programs of the Department consistent with the priorities of the College. The Head will hold regular meetings with the faculty, serve as chief representative of the Department to the Dean of the College, and attend regular meetings of departmental heads with the Dean.
A. Specific Obligations
1. The Head will have responsibility for providing leadership in instruction, research, outreach, professional activities, fundraising, donor relations and public relations.
2. The Head will have responsibility for making recommendations concerning personnel to the Dean in accordance with these guidelines.
3. The Head will have the responsibility for continuously maintaining personnel records for each faculty member pertaining to appointment, reappointment and promotion, tenure, and periodic appraisal.
4. The Head will have responsibility for all fiscal affairs of the Department including personnel and maintenance budgets, scholarship and fellowship grants, OSU Foundation accounts, and travel funds. This responsibility will be exercised consistent with authority delegated by the Dean and these guidelines.
5. The Head will have responsibility for the instructional program of the Department, including preparation of schedules for the fall, spring, and summer sessions, intersession, Outreach, and online course offerings, and of catalog material. The Head will also act as liaison with the Student Union Bookstore on classroom texts and material.
6. The Head will promote and encourage teaching excellence among faculty and teaching assistants.
7. The Head will encourage the recruitment and training of quality undergraduates and graduate students.
8. The Head will promote and encourage research activity by the departmental faculty that will result in publication, grant proposals, conference participation, public history scholarship, and professional recognition.
9. The Head will provide leadership in the development of community outreach programs.
10. The Head will perform administrative and executive duties as necessary, serve as presidng officer and spokesperson of the Department, and, with the exception of the Personnel Committee, appoint all standing and special committees, select the chair of these committees, and serve as ex officio member of all departmental committees.
11. The Head will determine the proper departmental jurisdiction on matters not specifically allotted to any specific group within the Department.
1. The Head shall serve a three-year term.
FACULTY MEETINGS FOR Spring, 2014:
January 15th (please note this was moved up from January 22nd)
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Don Bellows, our Undergraduate Advisor, go to: http://ascalendar.okstate.edu/
Pictures from the History Department House Warming.
The latest copy of The Prologue is available online. Link